MWC in the News 2019 | 'I am still in shock': Worker injured in toxic Campbellfield fire speaks

Date: 12 April 2019

Source: The Age

Warning: This story contains an image which may distress some readers.

A factory worker has spoken of his desperate struggle after an exploding chemical drum left him with serious burns before sparking a toxic inferno in suburban Melbourne.

After starting his 6am shift last Friday, Vignesh Varatharaja filled a chemical drum with solvent when it blew up in his face at the Campbellfield factory.

"I just turned right and the drum hit my shoulder and face heavily and my body caught fire and my clothes started burning," Mr Varatharaja said on Friday.