Migrant workers in Victoria are sometimes treated like an underclass. We face language and cultural barriers, insecure employment arrangements, discrimination and sometimes precarious visa arrangements. These things make us vulnerable to bad employers.
The Migrant Workers Centre empowers migrant workers in Victoria to understand our rights, enforce them in our workplaces, and connect with other migrant workers.
The Migrant Workers Centre:
- Educates workers about issues regarding workplace safety and rights
- Assists workers from emerging communities to address problems they encounter at workplaces
- Collaborates with community partners to organise events and grassroots campaigns focusing on workplace rights for migrants
- Bridges language barriers that limit workers’ access to information
- Promotes workplace rights on our media platforms, as well as mainstream and ethnic community media outlets.
The Migrant Workers Centre Inc is funded by the Victorian Government Department of Family, Fairness and Housing.